Sunday, May 6, 2007

Controversy

I recently posted on a controversial topic. I've deleted those posts because a higher up has informed me that they were insensitive. Perhaps so.
But where do we set the bar for sensitivity? With this particular topic, I think the bar is all-to-frequently set ludicrously high, even among those that agree with my point of view, and the demand is made that in setting forth any opinion on the matter, one must equally intersperse substantive statements of truth--those statements that actually function towards advancing what it is you mean to say--with statements of an altogether different sort. Statements that qualify and roll back the argument, statements calling for the reader to get in touch with their inner marshmallow, statements assuring the reader that nothing is really being said. It is demanded that every single time we open our mouths on the subject, we must spend the vast majority of our effort making new and ever-cleverer assurances that we are not bigots. This is absurdly frustrating, but I suppose I can see why it is necessary.